Justin August, Graduate Student of Education at the University of Pennsylvania

Blue Collar, White Collar

I grew up in a house my father built with his (and his friends) own two hands. Until the age of ten I spent the majority of my days exploring gardens, the woods and streams surrounding my house. As I grew older I spent time working side by side my father, building houses for other people to live in. I then went on to study Environmental Studies at Denison University surrounded by a majority of people who had never picked up a nail or swung a hammer.

After leaving Denison I spent time as a Student and Community Organizer at the Richard Stockton College in New Jersey. I was working as part of the New Jersey Public Interest Research Group and learned many things in that short time. One of the most important things I learned was to keep moving and changing. After my time there I spent time working with hands - building houses for pay and for Peninsula Habitat for Humanity in Daly City, CA. The value of this work is immeasurable and needs no explanation. I returned to Habitat a year later, this time for the San Francisco affiliate.

In the meantime I spent time as the Technology Manager for Pesticide Action Network North America. It was during this time when I was able to become involved with a local, community based urban farm called The Alemany Farm. Working with a community form and foster a healthy space in San Francisco showed me the value of hands-on learning and involvement for children.
email Justin: jaugust@gse.upenn.edu